Great chapter, Kellan!
Great chapter!
@Kellan Sullivan ! Amazing work as always! I really enjoy your tl's!
Thank you all so much
Tho I am more interested in how will Charles as king of Bohemia deal with Corvinus threat.
I'm open to suggestions
Lord Tremoille: “Honey, grandma is dead. Now, go warm up stepgrandpa’s bed so we still get money. Hop to!” 🫠😬
Lol. Considerig the Anne de la Trémoïlle mentioned wound up with the comte du Maine's bastard OTL (again leveraging royal connections), it's not that crazy.
Am I the only one who felt bad for Charles here?

If it makes you feel any better Colette got off "easy" TTL. OTL her husband, the Sieur d'Amboise poisoned her for cheating on him with Charles.

Venice, Volterra and Worcester
Soundtrack: John Cooke - Alma Proles - Christi Miles

February 1472

*Venice* *exterior* *we see the cavalcade of Sophia Palaiologina arriving at the banks of the lagoon* *there is an interesting addition to the party, one Giuliano de Medici* *with him is Sophia's youngest brother, Manuele Palaiologos* *the way they are laughing and joking together, with an occasional discreet eyeroll or a sigh from Sophia, suggests that the pair have become boon companions on the road from Rome*

*Florence* *exterior* *the Palazzo Vecchio* *inside* *we see Lorenzo de Medici walking with Clarice*
Lorenzo: you let him go on to Venice?
Clarice: you act as though I am his mother, Lorenzo
Lorenzo: I said "no" for a reason when he requested permission to do so
Clarice: last I checked, you are not the pope. And it was hardly as though Giuliano could refuse his Holiness' granting him of safe passage.
Lorenzo: *grumbles* I will attempt to console myself with that thought when my brother is visiting every whorehouse in Venice: that he is there doing God's work because the pope sent him.
Clarice: he will go on to Milan from Venice, but you can't fault his reasoning that it might be good to get in with the Venetians...given that their Senate has approved Signore della Volpe's [1] plan ... at worst... being owed a favour by extending a line of credit to the Palaiologos brothers could work in this family's favour.
Lorenzo: *pinches his nose as if for a headache* if he doesn't get himself killed first. *kisses her cheek before leaving*

*cut to Lorenzo's "office"* *he's behind the desk when an older man with an eyepatch is shown in* *the contrast between the well-dressed and well-groomed Lorenzo and the older man- dressed in black, seemingly without care for his appearance- is stark*
Lorenzo: *rises* *bows slightly* Signore de Montefeltro
Montefeltro: Signore de Medici *sits down without being invited to*
Lorenzo: wine?
Montefeltro: *speaks in short bursts, like a dog barking* when your brother sent me to you, Medici, it was not to brag about your cellars.
Lorenzo: *amiably* of course *sits down* what do you know of Volterra, Milord?
Montefeltro: *clearly impatient* that it's citizens are in revolt.
Lorenzo: then that brings me to my point. I wish to...make use of your services.
Montefeltro: *gives price*
Lorenzo: and what does that buy me?
Montefeltro: peace of mind that the Volterrans won't bother rising again.
Lorenzo: then we have an understanding, Milord. I trust we will not need to meet again-
Montefeltro: *standing up* only if your payment is late, Medici
Lorenzo: will that be a lump sum or in installments [2]?
Montefeltro: *walking out* spoken like a banker.

*exterior* *London* *Coldharbour House* *Edward IV is talking to William Hastings over a map of England on the table*
Hastings: except for the Percy's, the north is still in Lancastrian hands-
Edward IV: Warwick's hands...it's not necessarily the same thing.
Hastings: it still comes down as far as the Humber, your Majesty. Then goes west to Sandal Castle and Hulme, around the county of Chester, down the Marches to the Severn, bulging out as far as Windsor and Winchester, before sweeping down to the coast at Poole.
Edward IV: *uses finger to indicate* Dickon took Bristol. And he managed to take Gloucester, but was pushed back by Jasper Tudor and some Welsh troops who gave battle at Tewkesbury Abbey. The only thing that stopped him joining our brother Rutland was that there were some forces from Worcester that came to his aid. So the Severn is not as secure as the Lancastrians could hope.
Hastings: he's still trapped between Wales and the bulk of the Lancastrian forces, sire.
Edward IV: but if he can force his way- from Worcester- to Birmingham or Telford...he'd have successfully broken the Lancastrians in two. It's not much, but if the duke of Buckingham comes south with his forces to assist him...that corridor will isolate King Henry from their main source of reinforcements, that is to say, the Welshmen. Leaving them in a pocket cut off from the coast. While we can land reinforcements from Ireland at Gloucester and Bristol if need be.

*end scene as it fades out on the map's course of the Severn River*

[1] Giovan' Battista/Giacomo della Volpe (aka Ivan Friazine), Ivan III's "agent" in Italy. In 1471, he sold the Venetian Senate on a crazy scheme to trade with Golden Horde.
[2] in short, the Volterrans were in revolt against their rulers in 1472, Lorenzo il Magnifico hired Federico da Montefeltro (later duke of Urbino) to suppress the rebellion because the Medici wished to control the newly-discovered alum mines in the hills around the city. Not sure, but ISTR reading that Volterra has alabaster quarries as well

February 1472

*Venice* *exterior* *we see the cavalcade of Sophia Palaiologina arriving at the banks of the lagoon* *there is an interesting addition to the party, one Giuliano de Medici* *with him is Sophia's youngest brother, Manuele Palaiologos* *the way they are laughing and joking together, with an occasional discreet eyeroll or a sigh from Sophia, suggests that the pair have become boon companions on the road from Rome*

*Florence* *exterior* *the Palazzo Vecchio* *inside* *we see Lorenzo de Medici walking with Clarice*
Clarice: last I checked, you are not the pope. And it was hardly as though Giuliano could refuse his Holiness' granting him of safe passage.
Lorenzo: *grumbles* I will attempt to console myself with that thought when my brother is visiting every whorehouse in Venice: that he is there doing God's work because the pope sent him.
Clarice: he will go on to Milan from Venice, but you can't fault his reasoning that it might be good to get in with the Venetians...given that their Senate has approved Signore della Volpe's [1] plan ... at worst... being owed a favour by extending a line of credit to the Palaiologos brothers could work in this family's favour.
Lorenzo: *pinches his nose as if for a headache* if he doesn't get himself killed first. *kisses her cheek before leaving*

*cut to Lorenzo's "office"* *he's behind the desk when an older man with an eyepatch is shown in* *the contrast between the well-dressed and well-groomed Lorenzo and the older man- dressed in black, seemingly without care for his appearance- is stark*
Montefeltro: *speaks in short bursts, like a dog barking* when your brother sent me to you, Medici, it was not to brag about your cellars.
Lorenzo: then that brings me to my point. I wish to...make use of your services.
Lorenzo: then we have an understanding, Milord. I trust we will not need to meet again-

*exterior* *London* *Coldharbour House* *Edward IV is talking to William Hastings over a map of England on the table*
Hastings: it still comes down as far as the Humber, your Majesty. Then goes west to Sandal Castle and Hulme, around the county of Chester, down the Marches to the Severn, bulging out as far as Windsor and Winchester, before sweeping down to the coast at Poole.
Edward IV: *uses finger to indicate* Dickon took Bristol. And he managed to take Gloucester, but was pushed back by Jasper Tudor and some Welsh troops who gave battle at Tewkesbury Abbey. The only thing that stopped him joining our brother Rutland was that there were some forces from Worcester that came to his aid. So the Severn is not as secure as the Lancastrians could hope.
Hastings: he's still trapped between Wales and the bulk of the Lancastrian forces, sire.
Edward IV: but if he can force his way- from Worcester- to Birmingham or Telford...he'd have successfully broken the Lancastrians in two. It's not much, but if the duke of Buckingham comes south with his forces to assist him...that corridor will isolate King Henry from their main source of reinforcements, that is to say, the Welshmen. Leaving them in a pocket cut off from the coast. While we can land reinforcements from Ireland at Gloucester and Bristol if need be.

[1] Giovan' Battista/Giacomo della Volpe (aka Ivan Friazine), Ivan III's "agent" in Italy. In 1471, he sold the Venetian Senate on a crazy scheme to trade with Golden Horde.
[2] in short, the Volterrans were in revolt against their rulers in 1472, Lorenzo il Magnifico hired Federico da Montefeltro (later duke of Urbino) to suppress the rebellion because the Medici wished to control the newly-discovered alum mines in the hills around the city. Not sure, but ISTR reading that Volterra has alabaster quarries as well
Amazing work as always!

Patriae Splendor Spes Nostrae Salutis
Soundtrack: Vivaldi - Juditha Triumphans - Salve Invicta

February 1472

*exterior* *Venice* *we see Sophia Palaiologina doing various regal things* *receiving the Doge and Dogaressa* *visiting convents and distributing alms* *in general, the Venetians seem to be a mixture of both "impressed" by her bearing and dismissive towards her* *these scenes are spliced in with Giuliano de Medici and Manuele enjoying Carnival in the "Venetian manner"* *or in other words, wandering with their arms around one another's shoulders, clearly drunk and singing as they cross the Piazza de San Marco* *Manuele kissing a naked woman* *and as we hear an angry voice in the next room, he escapes out of the window* *clearly the woman's husband demands to know why the window is open and she's standing there naked as a statue?* *Giuliano clearly did something similar, because next we see him engaged in a sword fight with another gentleman over the matter*

*interior* *Florence* *Lorenzo reads the report and clearly is debating whether he should send Federico da Montefeltro to Venice to bring Giuliano back in leg irons*

*interior* *Venice* *darkened room* *a servant enters*
Servant: *weakly* Signore de Medici?
*we hear a groan from inside the bed* *followed by wine goblet clattering out over the tiles*
Servant: *goes to the bed* *timidly* Signore de Medici.
*another groan*
*we see Manuele enter* *he starts opening the room's windows*
Manuele: Giuliano...Dominus Pisani is here to see you. *walks over to the bed* he's downstairs demanding satisfaction for deflowering his daughter.
Giuliano: *sleepy voices* I'll swear to Saint Mark and Saint John the Baptist that someone else had already done that.
Manuele: then you may tell him yourself. *wrenches curtains of the bed open* *we see Giuliano de Medici lying there, nestled between two buxomly women*
Giuliano: I thought he'd be more concerned about what I did with his wife.
Manuele: *surprised* you too?
Giuliano: *grinning as he scooches closer to the bed* clearly Caesar's woman is not above suspicion then.
Manuele: Signor della Volpe is here to see you. As is Doge Mocenigo [1].
Giuliano: *bleary* did I sleep with their wives?
Manuele: if you did, you have my congratulations *pauses for dramatic effect as Giuliano looks happy* not even I could get my soldier to stand to attention for Dogaressa. She's in her sixties and has skin like a prune.
Manuele: *grins as he ducks another wine goblet thrown at his head*

*cut to a room* *we see Giuliano seated at a table, opposite Manuele* *across from them sit two men* *one old [2] and gives the impression of an energetic man that is weighted down by the ermine-trimmed robes of state he wears* *the other is considerably younger [3], dressed in simpler garb, but where the Doge is clean-shaven, his companion has a luxuriant beard*
Doge Mocenigo: our Holy Father, the pope, has written to me, Signore de Medici. It seems that the new king of Bohemia is without a clergyman to crown him. Worse, much of the Bohemian clergy are either under suspicion of being Hussites or supporters of either the king of Hungary or the queen of Poland's son.
Giuliano: that is terribly troubling. And most inconvenient that I do not wear a bishop's skirts, your Serenity.
Doge: *smiles indulgently* the pope feels...obligated...since he was the one who nominated the king of Bohemia for the role, to provide a suitable cleric to crown him. Your sister-in-law was kind enough to recommend her brother, Rinaldo, for the role. His Holiness has nominated him as apostolic nuncio to Bohemia [4] with the explicit role of ensuring that the king is not crowned by a heretic.
Giuliano: Rinaldo is seventeen. Is he not a bit young to be a bishop?
Doge: his Holiness has not created him as such. Simply that he is to crown the king...lest the crown be sullied by the hands of heretics.
Giuliano: and Prince Palaiologos and I are bound for Milan-
Doge: it is his Holiness' wish that he may join you there. And that the three of you- alongside Signore della Volpe and the Grand Princess Sophia, of course- may have the further pleasure of one another's company.
Giuliano: *looks at Manuele* it seems as though we don't have a choice in the matter, Manuele. -although, I did wonder since when the Doge of Venice acts as the pope's messenger boy.
Doge: I am here on Venetian business, not that of the Holy Father. Although I would require your services as a messenger.
Giuliano: I am not your errand boy, your Serenity.
Doge: it could be...shall one say...mutually beneficiai to both the Serene Republic and the house of Medici.
Giuliano: I'm listening.
Doge: on his travel to Prague, the king of Bohemia agreed to certain...conditions...in order to pass through Venetian territory. We simply wish for you to attend his coronation and...should it be possible...remind him of those...obligations towards our Republic.
Giuliano: and if he refuses?
Doge: I am sure that your Excellency can be...most persuasive when you wish to.
Giuliano: you said mutually beneficial. I struggle to see how this improves the Medici situation any.
Doge: half of Europe's trade passes through Prague- either salt and gold coming south, or spices and fabric going north. -hailing from a family of bankers such as yourself...do I really need to colour the picture further?
Giuliano: I will have to consult with my brother about it.
Doge: I doubt that he will find it objectionable if it is on his Holiness' orders. After all...I can only imagine there are banks without number in Siena or Genoa who would prefer to take over the papal accounts should he prove...unwilling.
Giuliano: *looks at Volpe* and this one? Does he speak? Or does he just sit there.
Volpe: your Excellency...I already outlined my proposal to you in Rome. The Venetians have approved my mission to King Achmed [5] to raise two hundred thousand horsemen to fight the Turks...the emperor and the king of Bohemia have already promised troops to the same end-
Manuele: the liberation of Constantinople?
Volpe: the Venetian fleet is arming at the moment to assist the Queen of Cyprus, your Imperial Highness.
Manuele: *looks at Doge Mocenigo*
Doge: there has been talk of a potential diversionary landing in either the Morea or Smyrna [6] in order to keep the Turks distracted while the Horde attacks from their rear.

*fade to black*

[1] per a consult with @Nuraghe we decided to let Mocenigo be elected as Doge in succession to Cristoforo Moro (Mocenigo and Vendramin were both contenders in the 1471 election which they lost to Nicolo Tron). And Venice got four short-reigning doges in succession (Nicolo Tron (1471-1473), Nicolò Marcello (1473-1474), Pietro Mocenigo (1474-1476) and Andrea Vendramin (1476-1478)). Here, Mocenigo gets in earlier
[2] Mocenigo is born in 1406
[3] I can't find a birthyear for Giovan' Battista/Giacomo della Volpe (Ivan Friazine), beyond that he travelled to "Tartary" in 1455, implying he was at least late teens/early twenties
[4] Rinaldo was named as archbishop of Florence in 1474
[5] Akhmat, Khan of the Great Horde, this mission was approved by the Venetian Senate in May/June 1471

February 1472

Soundtrack: Vivaldi - Juditha Triumphans - Salve Invicta

February 1472

*exterior* *Venice* *we see Sophia Palaiologina doing various regal things* *receiving the Doge and Dogaressa* *visiting convents and distributing alms* *in general, the Venetians seem to be a mixture of both "impressed" by her bearing and dismissive towards her* *these scenes are spliced in with Giuliano de Medici and Manuele enjoying Carnival in the "Venetian manner"* *or in other words, wandering with their arms around one another's shoulders, clearly drunk and singing as they cross the Piazza de San Marco* *Manuele kissing a naked woman* *and as we hear an angry voice in the next room, he escapes out of the window* *clearly the woman's husband demands to know why the window is open and she's standing there naked as a statue?* *Giuliano clearly did something similar, because next we see him engaged in a sword fight with another gentleman over the matter*

*interior* *Florence* *Lorenzo reads the report and clearly is debating whether he should send Federico da Montefeltro to Venice to bring Giuliano back in leg irons*

*interior* *Venice* *darkened room* *a servant enters*
Servant: *weakly* Signore de Medici?
*we hear a groan from inside the bed* *followed by wine goblet clattering out over the tiles*
Servant: *goes to the bed* *timidly* Signore de Medici.
*another groan*
*we see Manuele enter* *he starts opening the room's windows*
Manuele: Giuliano...Dominus Pisani is here to see you. *walks over to the bed* he's downstairs demanding satisfaction for deflowering his daughter.
Giuliano: *sleepy voices* I'll swear to Saint Mark and Saint John the Baptist that someone else had already done that.
Manuele: then you may tell him yourself. *wrenches curtains of the bed open* *we see Giuliano de Medici lying there, nestled between two buxomly women*
Giuliano: I thought he'd be more concerned about what I did with his wife.
Manuele: *surprised* you too?
Giuliano: *grinning as he scooches closer to the bed* clearly Caesar's woman is not above suspicion then.
Manuele: Signor della Volpe is here to see you. As is Doge Mocenigo [1].
Giuliano: *bleary* did I sleep with their wives?
Manuele: if you did, you have my congratulations *pauses for dramatic effect as Giuliano looks happy* not even I could get my soldier to stand to attention for Dogaressa. She's in her sixties and has skin like a prune.
Manuele: *grins as he ducks another wine goblet thrown at his head*

*cut to a room* *we see Giuliano seated at a table, opposite Manuele* *across from them sit two men* *one old [2] and gives the impression of an energetic man that is weighted down by the ermine-trimmed robes of state he wears* *the other is considerably younger [3], dressed in simpler garb, but where the Doge is clean-shaven, his companion has a luxuriant beard*
Doge Mocenigo: our Holy Father, the pope, has written to me, Signore de Medici. It seems that the new king of Bohemia is without a clergyman to crown him. Worse, much of the Bohemian clergy are either under suspicion of being Hussites or supporters of either the king of Hungary or the queen of Poland's son.
Giuliano: that is terribly troubling. And most inconvenient that I do not wear a bishop's skirts, your Serenity.
Doge: *smiles indulgently* the pope feels...obligated...since he was the one who nominated the king of Bohemia for the role, to provide a suitable cleric to crown him. Your sister-in-law was kind enough to recommend her brother, Rinaldo, for the role. His Holiness has nominated him as apostolic nuncio to Bohemia [4] with the explicit role of ensuring that the king is not crowned by a heretic.
Giuliano: Rinaldo is seventeen. Is he not a bit young to be a bishop?
Doge: his Holiness has not created him as such. Simply that he is to crown the king...lest the crown be sullied by the hands of heretics.
Giuliano: and Prince Palaiologos and I are bound for Milan-
Doge: it is his Holiness' wish that he may join you there. And that the three of you- alongside Signore della Volpe and the Grand Princess Sophia, of course- may have the further pleasure of one another's company.
Giuliano: *looks at Manuele* it seems as though we don't have a choice in the matter, Manuele. -although, I did wonder since when the Doge of Venice acts as the pope's messenger boy.
Doge: I am here on Venetian business, not that of the Holy Father. Although I would require your services as a messenger.
Giuliano: I am not your errand boy, your Serenity.
Doge: it could be...shall one say...mutually beneficiai to both the Serene Republic and the house of Medici.
Giuliano: I'm listening.
Doge: on his travel to Prague, the king of Bohemia agreed to certain...conditions...in order to pass through Venetian territory. We simply wish for you to attend his coronation and...should it be possible...remind him of those...obligations towards our Republic.
Giuliano: and if he refuses?
Doge: I am sure that your Excellency can be...most persuasive when you wish to.
Giuliano: you said mutually beneficial. I struggle to see how this improves the Medici situation any.
Doge: half of Europe's trade passes through Prague- either salt and gold coming south, or spices and fabric going north. -hailing from a family of bankers such as yourself...do I really need to colour the picture further?
Giuliano: I will have to consult with my brother about it.
Doge: I doubt that he will find it objectionable if it is on his Holiness' orders. After all...I can only imagine there are banks without number in Siena or Genoa who would prefer to take over the papal accounts should he prove...unwilling.
Giuliano: *looks at Volpe* and this one? Does he speak? Or does he just sit there.
Volpe: your Excellency...I already outlined my proposal to you in Rome. The Venetians have approved my mission to King Achmed [5] to raise two hundred thousand horsemen to fight the Turks...the emperor and the king of Bohemia have already promised troops to the same end-
Manuele: the liberation of Constantinople?
Volpe: the Venetian fleet is arming at the moment to assist the Queen of Cyprus, your Imperial Highness.
Manuele: *looks at Doge Mocenigo*
Doge: there has been talk of a potential diversionary landing in either the Morea or Smyrna [6] in order to keep the Turks distracted while the Horde attacks from their rear.

*fade to black*

[1] per a consult with @Nuraghe we decided to let Mocenigo be elected as Doge in succession to Cristoforo Moro (Mocenigo and Vendramin were both contenders in the 1471 election which they lost to Nicolo Tron). And Venice got four short-reigning doges in succession (Nicolo Tron (1471-1473), Nicolò Marcello (1473-1474), Pietro Mocenigo (1474-1476) and Andrea Vendramin (1476-1478)). Here, Mocenigo gets in earlier
[2] Mocenigo is born in 1406
[3] I can't find a birthyear for Giovan' Battista/Giacomo della Volpe (Ivan Friazine), beyond that he travelled to "Tartary" in 1455, implying he was at least late teens/early twenties
[4] Rinaldo was named as archbishop of Florence in 1474
[5] Akhmat, Khan of the Great Horde, this mission was approved by the Venetian Senate in May/June 1471

Hi Kellan, I see you haven't lost the habit of producing masterpieces, what you're doing with Giuliano and Manuele is truly fantastic ( I spat out my lungs several times from laughing too much, especially during their stay in Venice, I'm grateful to you for this hilarious moment, after a long days of very heavy and painful equestrian competitions, it was really needed ) your version of Lorenzo the Magnificent is wonderful, it seems to come to life, I must also compliment you on how you represented Federico da Montefeltro, which is extremely realistic finally, I am extremely curious to see what Giuliano will do once he enters the imperial borders ( the small mention of military support from the Imperial and Bohemian side towards Venice is also very interesting, all combined with a possible campaign in the Morea , which could trigger some crazy idea in Manuele's brain ) for the rest as long as he and Giuliano don't get themselves killed first ( as Mamma Lorenzo rightly says in an almost resigned manner )

Last edited:
Great chapter.
@Kellan Sullivan that intro got a chuckle out of me. Amazing work as always
thank you very much

Hi Kellan, I see you haven't lost the habit of producing masterpieces, what you're doing with Giuliano and Manuele is truly fantastic ( I spat out my lungs several times from laughing too much, especially during their stay in Venice,
hope you could put your lungs back :p they're kinda necessary
I'm grateful to you for this hilarious moment, after a long days of very heavy and painful equestrian competitions, it was really needed )
you're welcome
your version of Lorenzo the Magnificent is wonderful, it seems to come to life,
thank you very much
I must also compliment you on how you represented Federico da Montefeltro, which is extremely realistic
I'll admit, I was sort of imagining him as this gruff soldier type badass that raises his fists first and asks questions afterwards
finally, I am extremely curious to see what Giuliano will do once he enters the imperial borders ( the small mention of military support from the Imperial and Bohemian side towards Venice is also very interesting, all combined with a possible campaign in the Morea , which could trigger some crazy idea in Manuele's brain )
given that Mocenigo managed to destroy Smyrna, subjugate Cyprus and nearly took Scutari (but died of typhoid before he could), there might be legs to his idea. At worst, Manuele might end up married to Caterina Cornaro and ruling Cyprus. She was proposed as a second wife for Ferrante I of Naples, Matthias Corvinus, George, Duke of Clarence and Federico I, Duke of Mantua, so really, a proto-Bianca Sforza type that gets offered everywhere. Or maybe Giuliano is the one to land the Venetian queen?
for the rest as long as he and Giuliano don't get themselves killed first ( as Mamma Lorenzo rightly says in an almost resigned manner )
Given Giuliano's ignominious end OTL, bleeding out on the floor of Florence's Duomo, getting killed in battle (while on Crusade) at least has a sort of "panache".

The Queen and the Kingmaker's Daughter
Soundtrack: Walter Frye - Ave Regina

*exterior* *Milan* *we see Manuele Palaiologos riding into the city in great state* *Giuliano de Medici riding a small ways behind him* *both men look bored to tears by the display*
*cut to Manuele and Giuliano both seated at the duke's banquet table* *with them in the presence of the duke is a third, older, man with a high forehead, a hooked nose and a narrow chest* *although his clothes easily match the richness of both Giuliano and Manuele's* *but his general expression is as though he is attempting to avoid a bad odour*
Giuliano: and how long will you be remaining in Milan, Signore Francesco?
"Signore Francesco": *simply retains his "aloof" expression as he continues eating*
Manuele: your grace's guest is hardly the sociable type.
Duke of Milan: *about to respond*
Signore Francesco: I wasn't aware that anyone had anything to say, your Imperial Highness. All I heard was the bleating of a Florentine sheep [1]
Giuliano: and all I see is a Ferrarese lynx who is disappointed that he returned from the Burgundian vineyards to find that he will never be an eagle [2].
Duke of Milan: gentlemen, there is no need for rancour.
Signore Francesco: as soon as Medici is sent out to graze with the livestock, your Grace, there shall be no rancour.
Giuliano: *pushes plate away* forgive me, your Grace, all Signore Francesco's talk of livestock has put me off my dinner. *slyly* still...one can expect no better from the son and grandsons of whores [3]. *smiles as he retains the duke's attention* but at least we Medici can be sure of who our father's were.
Signore Francesco: *to Milan* you would let him insult me so?
Manuele: firstly, Signore Francesco, you insulted Signore de Medici. Secondly, I struggle to see where his insult is, unless you are saying that your mother was not a whore and your father was not a bastard. In which case I will happily insult your intelligence for doing so *bites into apple*
Signore Francesco: *fumes silently as the conversation resumes as though the argument never happened*

*exterior* *London* *Westminster Abbey*
Elizabeth Wydeville: Warwick is to be pardoned?
Jacquetta of Luxembourg, Duchess of Bedford: provided he returns to Edward's side.
Elizabeth: and what he did to you? To father? To John? That is to be forgotten?
Jacquetta: Elizabeth, the king is hardly interested in Warwick's return any more than what I am or what you wish it. And as insulting as it would be to your father's memory, Edward has his reasons.
Elizabeth: how soon will it be before Warwick is back in favour? You, of all people mother, know how...how...
Jacquetta: ruthless he is? *pats her hand* I do. But do not mistake his return for that Edward has either forgiven or forgotten what was done to him either. Your husband is just as ruthless as Warwick.
Elizabeth: how long will that take then?
Jacquetta: it is not indefinite. Warwick is playing a dangerous game here. With not one, but two Edward's. He is technically traitor to them both. Regardless of which one wins, *slightly satanic smile* I do not need to be a witch to predict that he will fall.
Elizabeth: but Edward's promise of a dukedom for him? I've never heard of a man falling upwards.
Jacquetta: again...a promise that has no legs. Prince Edward- now a man- will not honour it should he win. And King Edward has only promised it should the duchess of Clarence have a son.
Elizabeth: *surprised* she is with child?
Jacquetta: I've heard no tell of it. Although if she were...it would be very difficult to maintain the illusion that either George or Isabel are under arrest as the official line goes.
Elizabeth: *looks at her son toddling around under the eye of his governess, Lady St. John* and what of my Edward? He is walking already. Will he be talking before his father creates him prince of Wales?
Jacquetta: you could leave this place, Elizabeth. Return to court.
Elizabeth: and if Edward loses? What then? Am I to give birth in sanctuary again?
Jacquetta: perhaps, perhaps not. All I know is that since the duchess of Exeter married, the duchess of Clarence's behaviour at court grows more intolerable.
Elizabeth: she has been cruel towards you, mother?
Jacquetta: no more than the duchess of York. However...in the absence of a queen, and without his sister to function as the head of his household, the duchesses of York and Clarence swan around as though they were the crowned queen and the princess of Wales.
Elizabeth: *face darkening*

*cut to Shene Palace* *the courtiers, servants, see a carriage arriving in the courtyard* *nobody bats an eyelid when they see Jacquetta stepping down* *again, nobody looks up at Lady St. John's emergence* *however, when Lady St. John turns to help a little boy down from the carriage people do look up* *the little boy is followed by Elizabeth Wydeville* *a hush falls over the courtyard* *we hear the sound of a wooden barrel or box dropping on the cobbles as the servants and courtiers, in a mixture of astonishment and surprise, bow and curtsey*
Elizabeth: *walks through the spreading wine from the barrel, it soaking the hem of her grey dress* *she looks at the barrel as she picks up her son* what a waste of Malmesy

*cut to interior* *we see Elizabeth blowing down the palace corridors, with her mother and son's governess trailing behind her* *as she rounds the corner of a courtyard, she is brought face to face with the duchess of York and Clarence* *the two women are laughing together at something*
*both Cicely and Isabel Neville look practically stunned to see her*
Elizabeth: *warmly* Lady Cicely, I was unaware that you were in residence.
Cicely: my son needed someone to run the home in your Majesty's absence.
Elizabeth: of course. Then I need not remind you of what is the proper protocol on encountering the queen of England.
Cicely: *looks at Elizabeth for a long beat* *then slowly sinks into a curtsey*
Elizabeth: *to Isabel* most beloved, most loyal sister.
Isabel: *coolly stares Elizabeth down* your Majesty
Elizabeth: it gives me great pleasure to welcome you to my home [4]. I trust that...in time...you will be kind enough to invite me to your home at L'Erber.
Isabel: it is not in such state as fit to receive a queen, your Majesty
Elizabeth: that was not a request, sister.
Isabel: *looks at the still unrisen Cicely* *then back at Elizabeth* *attempts to bob a brief curtsey*
Elizabeth: *sternly* lower, madame. Lest my son should believe that you are as traitorous as your father.
Isabel: *grudgingly* *sinks into a full cutsey*
Elizabeth: *presents her hand*
Isabel: *looks at her as though to ask "are you serious?"*
Cicely: *jabs her daughter-in-law with her elbow*
Isabel: *hastily kisses it*
Elizabeth: *hands Edward to his grandmother* *then raises Isabel to her feet* *leaving Cicely on her haunches* *kisses both her sister's cheeks* then come, sister...let us talk no more of the unhappy past.

*fade to black as Edward IV takes his son from Jacquetta* *while Elizabeth and Isabel are arm-in-arm, as though best friends* *Isabel's smile is like a hostage going "yes they are treating me well" in a ransom video*

[1] reference to the Medici bank originally making their money off the guild of wool-carders
[2] several puns in Giuliano's answer. "I see" and "lynx" are both references to Signore Francesco's father, Leonello d'Este, whose motto was "Quade Vides ne Vide" (shut your eyes to what you see) and whose heraldic charge was a lynx (a pun on his name). The eagle is both a reference to the imperial eagle as well as that on the coat of arms of the d'Este family
[3] referring to the fact that Francesco is illegitimate, and the son of Leonello, who himself was illegitimate
[4] Shene belonged to Elizabeth Wydeville and was earmarked to serve as her dower home OTL

Amazing work! Wish Elizabeth and Edward the Best
thank you. While Margaret of York (Edward IV's daughter) is butterflied, currently my plan is that their kids will be born on the OTL schedule (mostly because I'm too lazy to change it)
Damm, I LOVE your portrayal of Elisabeth and Jacquetta!
figure the accusation of witchcraft could probably be levelled at both stock brokers and psychologists nowadays as well. Not sure why Philippa Gregory has such an obsession with Jacquetta's powers and "Great-Grandma Water Goddess" when Jacquetta- having been at three different courts- Burgundian, Dutch and French- before she married Bedford and survived another two- Lancastrian and York- probably had a decent grasp of the political reality/situation. IMO the reliance on the "witchcraft" trope like Gregory does is simply lazy storytelling, because it diminishes that the woman might've genuinely been a savvy political player in her own right.

After all, look at another woman charged with witchcraft by her political enemies: Anne Boleyn. She was cultured, intelligent, talented, politically savvy (or at least, knew how to play the game on her own terms), but no series of books suggesting that she was genuinely a witch. Because, after all, to do that would be to undermine the great-grandmommy of feminist icons- Gloriana herself- by suggesting that her birth was "more foul than fair".

I'll admit that I'm hazy on the history, but a "contemporary" of Jacquetta's also accused of witchcraft was Fernando el Catolico's mother. I'm not sure why they accused her of this when her Jewish blood would've been enough to make her a target. But again, a woman who was beautiful and obviously intelligent enough to not allow herself to become a king's mistress (not sure about her political or cultural talents). The only difference between Juana and Jacquetta is that Juana may have genuinely had a hand in poisoning her stepson (others point the finger of Carlos IV's death at Louis XI or Juan II). I've never heard that there's a fascination with Juana being a witch in literature.

Another great chapter Kellan
thank you