Personally, I'm just hoping for a new dynasty in China, one that can lead the country into the modern era, even it if has to shed the outer parts (Manchuria, Mongolia, Xinjiang, Tibet, &c.) in order to refocus.

Very glad to see this back, enjoyed that update.

It's good that the famine has been dealt with far better in this timeline, even if it's still a disappointingly slow response from the British government.

Will the Second Opium War, the Taiping Rebellion and the Indian Rebellion of 1857 be different ITTL?

Last edited:
One thing I noticed just now - the Great Reform Act occurred before Catholic emancipation ITTL. It's a bit strange that the Whigs didn't emancipate the Catholics, since after all Grey and his mentor Fox were great advocates of it, and IOTL an important reason that reform was passed was because Ultra-Tories were convinced that it would enfranchise enough Protestants to effectively undo Catholic emancipation - so considering the massive, massive difficulty even IOTL the Whigs found it was to reform Britain's broken political system, it seems unlikely Britain would see the Great Reform Act occur before Catholic emancipation.

One thing I noticed just now - the Great Reform Act occurred before Catholic emancipation ITTL. It's a bit strange that the Whigs didn't emancipate the Catholics, since after all Grey and his mentor Fox were great advocates of it, and IOTL an important reason that reform was passed was because Ultra-Tories were convinced that it would enfranchise enough Protestants to effectively undo Catholic emancipation - so considering the massive, massive difficulty even IOTL the Whigs found it was to reform Britain's broken political system, it seems unlikely Britain would see the Great Reform Act occur before Catholic emancipation.

Perhaps I'm misreading, but it seems that Catholic Emancipation does go through in this timeline, prior to - for lack of a better term - Devolution and the restoration of the Irish Parliament.

Oh, the butterflies will be flapping, and welcome back, @Earl Marshal...
Indeed they will and thank you, I'm glad to be back!

Glad to see that your back! Can't wait to get back to Greece and see how Leopold's son will do. Eagerly awaiting more!
Thank you, I'm glad to be back as well! The story will return to and stay exclusively in Greece for quite some time. I can also say with some confidence that Prince Constantine will feature quite heavily in these next few parts.

Personally, I'm just hoping for a new dynasty in China, one that can lead the country into the modern era, even it if has to shed the outer parts (Manchuria, Mongolia, Xinjiang, Tibet, &c.) in order to refocus.
China will be making a more direct appearance in the not too distant future and let's just say I have big plans for them.

Good to see this back! Hoping attention will soon return to Greece. Will have to give this a re-read.
Thank you! The narrative will return to Greece in this next part, Part 73, and stay there for quite some time, about 6 parts as of my current outline.

Very glad to see this back, enjoyed that update.

It's good that the famine has been dealt with far better in this timeline, even if it's still a disappointingly slow response from the British government.
Thank you very much!

Sadly, I'm afraid that a famine of some sorts was inevitable in Ireland given the wide array of institutional and societal problems it faced both ITTL and IOTL, such as the Irish Lumper monoculture, the small tenant farmer plots, oppressive landlords, and the Corn Laws among others.

Thank you, I'm glad to be back!

A grand return, Earl :)
Thank you, I'm glad you liked it!

Will the Second Opium War, the Taiping Rebellion and the Indian Rebellion of 1857 be different ITTL?
Maybe...:evilsmile:

Does Napoleon II have any illegitimate kids from his time of travels?
I'll go out on a limb and say yes, although I haven't settled on any specific details about them yet.

I lowkey hope the Qing dynasty will collapse early somehow. Anyways welcome back!
Let's just say the Qing are going to have a rough few years ahead of them and thank you, I'm happy to be back!

Extremely happy to see you are back @Earl Marshal !
Thank you, I'm happy to be back as well!

Welcome back and wish you even greater things
Thank you, I certainly hope that the months ahead are better than the months behind!

It was actually George Canning, not Earl Grey, who enacted the Great Reform Act in this timeline, but what you said here is probably a more appropriate turn of events, specifically Catholic Emancipation followed by the Reform Act. When I have more time this weekend, I'll edit it accordingly.

Perhaps I'm misreading, but it seems that Catholic Emancipation does go through in this timeline, prior to - for lack of a better term - Devolution and the restoration of the Irish Parliament.
I believe he was referring to the Reform Act of 1832.

It will be offset by more Polish immigration. I look forward to a Polish flavored USA instead of a Irish one;):)!!!

Well, the US is still going to see the initial wave of Irish immigration from the famine. After that, it really depends on the state of the Irish economy, to be frank. One of the side effects of the initial Act of Union was to strangle many of Ireland's industries in their craddle. If Ireland in this ATL still remains primarily agricultural, and native industries don't begin to emerge (which may be difficult, as any Irish industry is going to have to compete against English and Scottish factories) then you are still going to see sustained emigration from Ireland for much of the 19th century. After all - not all of us left for America for solely political reasons :D

Now, the increased Polish immigration is going to be interesting. In OTL, though there was a small wave of Polish immigrants from Kashubia and Silesia in the 1850s, Poles didn't start arriving in the US in great numbers until the 1880s and 1890s. And, when they did, they often found work in cities rather than emigrating to the countryside (though rural Polish communities did exist - i grew up in one in Northcentral Wisconsin :) )

If we get an earlier, substantial, Polish immigration, the chance of them acquiring farmland is actually increased. I expect that we will see Polish farm communities popping up throughout the Upper Midwest and the Plains.

Another interesting impact will be that the crushed revolution will likely see many of the Polish intelligensia emigrating as well. We might well see a Polish version of the German 48er movement of OTL (and the thought of Milwaukee becoming the Polish Athens instead of the German Athens I really great.)

Its also going to have an impact in Catholic politics and perceptions of the Church in America. In OTL the Catholic heirarchy that developed as largely German and Irish in nature (with the Irish believing they should be top dogs, due to them speaking English), the first Polish-language bishop in the US wasn't named under the first decades of the 20th century in Chicago. If we see greater Polish immigration from an earlier date, then Polish clergy probably become a larger component of the Church leadership from an earlier date. This is going to be interesting as the intellectual currents of Irish and Polish Catholicism are very different :)

On a side note, Anglo-Protestant relations with the Church are going to be fascinsting in this ATL. The Pope's decision to support the Italian Nationalist cause is going to buy him some very real good-will; and it neatly sidesteps the "Rome Question" and the Papacy's standoff with "liberal Italy". However, if we see substantial Polish immigration, it is going to play into the American view of Catholics as being inherently alien, and could still help foster the besieged mentality of American Catholicism during the 19th and early 20th centuries.

Last edited: