Crusader Kings III

I am actually so pumped for Chapter III. I can't wait to play as a Norman adventurer and set up a dynasty somewhere random. Plus the Administrative Government type for the Byzantines seems like it's going to be really interesting. And the legends thing. Plagues could go either way, IMO; I'm hoping it's not just a more interesting random harm thing.

Plagues could help to speed the game up, especially later on.

They're designed to slow it down. A common problem players have is that it's too easy to blob the map early in the game, making the late game boring and repetitive; plagues are (apparently) designed as a foil to this.

That's not what I meant, the game slows down when there are too many live characters on the map.

That's partly unavoidable, as vacant barony's are built up there are simply more courts, more landed families, more military orders etc.
True. But with epidemics in play, there might be a bit of a "culling" that will remove people and thus help speed. Hell, if the Black Death is as deadly as it is in CK2, a lot of characters are going to die.

That being said, I'm not sure how much of an impact it would have on performance overall.

Bomster

Gone Fishin'
I am actually so pumped for Chapter III. I can't wait to play as a Norman adventurer and set up a dynasty somewhere random. Plus the Administrative Government type for the Byzantines seems like it's going to be really interesting. And the legends thing. Plagues could go either way, IMO; I'm hoping it's not just a more interesting random harm thing.
I want to recreate Rollo’s founding of Normandy.

Bomster

Gone Fishin'
Honestly I’m most excited for the Byzantine DLC. I’ve been wanting some Eastern Roman content forever!

I want to recreate Rollo’s founding of Normandy.
Honestly I’m most excited for the Byzantine DLC. I’ve been wanting some Eastern Roman content forever!

If they can implement the experience of a wandering adventurer or that of a Byzantine bureaucrat the right way, CK3 might finally step out of CK2's shadow - it's a great game, but they spent far too many DLCs and far too many years on content that shouldn't have been as expensive as it was. And now that I think about it, landless play could serve as an excuse for some kind of isekai mod, too - especially if it's one of those villainess isekai where the MC has to avoid being summarily executed. :p

If CK3 can get the ERE right I will be so happy, I can understand why CK2 handled them the way they did but it was pretty suboptimal.

The core problem is the mechanics of the Crusader Kings series, going right back to the first game is built around a form of Western European feudalism that only really fully applied to France and the HRE, it doesn't even really reflect the stronger Royal Authority of England or the importance of cities in Italy. So making those mechanics work for the Muslim world or the ERE is always going to be really difficult.

Bomster

Gone Fishin'
If CK3 can get the ERE right I will be so happy, I can understand why CK2 handled them the way they did but it was pretty suboptimal.

The core problem is the mechanics of the Crusader Kings series, going right back to the first game is built around a form of Western European feudalism that only really fully applied to France and the HRE, it doesn't even really reflect the stronger Royal Authority of England or the importance of cities in Italy. So making those mechanics work for the Muslim world or the ERE is always going to be really difficult.
What would an accurate ERE look like?

True. But with epidemics in play, there might be a bit of a "culling" that will remove people and thus help speed. Hell, if the Black Death is as deadly as it is in CK2, a lot of characters are going to die.

That being said, I'm not sure how much of an impact it would have on performance overall.
"The Black Death was a positive development as it helped improve performance."--Least Unhinged Crusader King.

God, I love this game! The discussions around it are unintentionally hilarious!

Last edited:

Bomster

Gone Fishin'
They're making it vaguely similar to the Republics of CK2 - you get a family estate instead of land, and have to jockey for positions of power within the bureaucracy. IMO the whole system is definitely leading to playable republics again, hopefully in 2025.
How do estates work? It sounds analogous to baronies or counties?

How do estates work? It sounds analogous to baronies or counties?
No, it's not like that. It's not land on the map; I imagine it's like a throne room, but a full estate. The idea being that you're "landless" and become a governor of a Byzantine province, which weren't tied to family lands like in feudal France or the HRE (which the in-game feudal system is based on). It's a whole new government type - administrative. Based more around bureaucracy than landed vassalage. Rising to power in the ERE will be more about your personal and political influence than the land and titles you hold.

And now that I think about it, landless play could serve as an excuse for some kind of isekai mod, too - especially if it's one of those villainess isekai where the MC has to avoid being summarily executed. :p
Alternatively you'll have people make their own version of A Yankee in King Arthur's Court.
"The Black Death was a positive development as it helped improve performance."--Least Unhinged Crusader King.
Well, considering the amount of people who are somewhat fetishizing murder, incest, grooming and cannibalism... Honestly, saying the Black Death might a good thing for performance just feels pretty tame.

Though I admit it's kinda arguing that worshipping Nurgle is better than worshipping Slaanesh...
God, I love this game! The discussions around it are unintentionally hilarious!
Out of context CK is best CK.

What would an accurate ERE look like?

They're making it vaguely similar to the Republics of CK2 - you get a family estate instead of land, and have to jockey for positions of power within the bureaucracy. IMO the whole system is definitely leading to playable republics again, hopefully in 2025.

That sounds pretty good.

The Rhomanian nobility was surprisingly "modern" with diversified asset portfolios including urban property, ships and a lot of land (this was an agricultural economy) but no contiguous feudal entities with judicial and military authority like a French County or Duchy.
Ignoring the incredibly important role the Church played the secular bureaucracy and military hierarchy was complex and changed massively over the period covered by the game but for much of the time heavily recruited from the nobility in much the same way and for much the same reasons that early modern England or France did, because the nobility/gentry was the largest source of sufficiently educated individuals. This noble representation increased as you went up the ranks because this was a long time before Enlightenment ideas of personal merit and wealth and ancestry were regarded very highly.

Meh. I would prefer creating a new title tier below Baronies: Estates.

Estates would essentially work like Baronies did in CKII in that they wouldn't be represented on the map like Baronies are in CKIII. It wouldn't be practical anyway since Estates would represent plots of land too small to practically subdivide Baronies, like Baronies have been done to Counties in CKIII.

In Feudal, Imperial, and Clan (i.e. settled realms, dunno how Tribals would work so I'll ignore them) realms Estates would be split off into Owned by Nobility, Owned by Freeholders, Owned by the Crown, and Empty. This would actually allow for a pretty accurate representation of the ERE in game, where the power of the landed Magnates was based on their Estates, not necessarily their control over a given Theme. This would mean, you could lose every title from Counties on up and, while it would be a significant blow to your power, it would not necessarily be a crippling blow (and it certainly wouldn't be a game over). It would also represent the true source of the Empire's military power: The Freeholder. It was generally easier to tax and recruit into the military small freeholder families. But of course, the Landed Magnates would also represent a source of talented military commanders (and usurpers).

There would also be a LOT of Estates on the map, likely tens of thousands (if not more) of them.

and it certainly wouldn't be a game over
By the way, PDX has stated that with landless play coming into the game, losing your titles won't be game over anymore anyway. Naturally if you die heirless that will still be game over, but you can continue playing as a landless noble. The event pack in Q4 is also adding a new "traveller" lifestyle tree to supplement this sort of thing.