Crusader Kings III

Dev Diary 133.

Three new additions coming with the DLC:
  • A wet nurse court position reserved for non-noble women.
  • Rites of passages for entering adulthood.
  • Making the choice of a guardian more impactful on a child's personnality.
The one I'm actually the most excited is the right of passage because this opens possibilities for other similar events to be added later on via later DLCs or mods. I mean, while entering adulthood is the main right of passage, it's not the only one. It's also a great addition for roleplay.

he one I'm actually the most excited is the right of passage because this opens possibilities for other similar events to be added later on via later DLCs or mods. I mean, while entering adulthood is the main right of passage, it's not the only one. It's also a great addition for roleplay.
Seems like it's only for tribal governments. It's also based on several cultural 'rites of passage' which to me seems too broad, they should be culture-specific. Like if you're Norse you'd go into isolation in the wild, but not necessarily if you're a different culture.

I kind of wish character names weren't so heavily tied to culture-of-origin. It would be a neat RP aspect if, say, when you married a foreign woman her name was transliterated into your language.

My third character in a custom House Boleyn run in the Reach, Perceon Boleyn, was married to Margaery Tyrell's daughter, Olenna Hightower. Olenna died in childbirth giving him his third daughter/fourth child. After 14 years of mourning as a widower, he married Olenna's neice, Reyna Hightower, because she bared a striking resemblance to his long lost soulmate Olenna. They got married right before his only son, Andris (hopefully the Second of his name), married his cousin.

Here was Perceon and his first wife, Olenna Hightower, daugher of Margaery Tyrell and her Hightower husband.

image.png

And now here is Perceon and his second wife, Reyna Hightower, granddaughter of Margaery Tyrell and niece to Olenna Hightower.

image.png

And here is his son with Olenna, Andris, and Andris's new wife who I think is named Leona ?

image.png

So I've heard that the devs have said they probably aren't going to re-add the Charlemagne start date to CK3 which is a huge bummer. They said it was because they literally invented half the 'historical' figures for CK2 since there wasn't enough information available. Which I think is kind of shit, because half the characters in CK3 are invented as well (like, there's no way we know who was leading every little steppe tribe in 867).

Anyway, I do hope they add more bookmarks in next year's DLC slate. I'm getting kind of bored with just 867 or 1066. One in the 10th Century would be fun, somewhere between the two current dates. I'm also hoping they do eventually give back the ability to play as Republics - creating a Venetian Empire sounds fun.

Ever since Wards and Wardens came out the game is constantly crashing on me at the load screen, right now I can't even get past the load screen without it crashing and that is with all the mods, even the updated ones, turned off.

Ever since Wards and Wardens came out the game is constantly crashing on me at the load screen, right now I can't even get past the load screen without it crashing and that is with all the mods, even the updated ones, turned off.

Since I use AGOT I am still on the pre-Wards and Wardens version of CK3. Usually you have to wait for the next update for it to work out the bugs anyway

Legacy of Persia has been officially announced and will release on November 9.

They also released a Dev Diary.

Apparently Persia was picked not just for the historical context of the time but because it's a player favorite outside of Feudal Europe. Not really surprising when you consider how popular Zoroastrianism was in CK2.

As for what's teased about the DLC:
  • A rework of the Clan government
  • Rework of cultures with the Iranian heritage
  • A bit of a rework for the religious set-up of Persia in 867
  • A new struggle with the Iranian Intermezzo
  • A new bookmark in 867 with Rostam Bavanid (for Sassanid fans), Muhamad of the Tahrids, Yaqub Saffarid (whose backstory seems pretty badass), Suri of the Ghurids and Ismail of the Sammanids.

Cryostorm

Donor
Monthly Donor
Yep, really looking forward to seeing how they handle landless characters and how a dynasty down on its luck can once more rise, though maybe far from their homelands. Only other thing I would really want after that is a halfway decent trade & economy system.

Yep, really looking forward to seeing how they handle landless characters and how a dynasty down on its luck can once more rise, though maybe far from their homelands. Only other thing I would really want after that is a halfway decent trade & economy system.
Playability of landless characters is confirmed then?

Looks like it - this could make playing mods set in certain fantasy universes, in which the protagonists have to roam quite a while before settling down, even more accurate to canon, not to mention how there's plenty of cool unlanded characters in the base game already. Also, unlanded play might be able to lead to a better implementation of republican polities than in CK2, and not just of Byzantine bureaucracy.

Last edited:
Chapter III was announced today. Plagues and legends, landless and byzantines. this year looks to be great :D
Indeed. It looks very promising.
Yes. It's a feature that will appear in the Roads to Power expansion that they're going to publish in Q3 of the year. Alongside the Byzantine administrative government.

Pretty excited for that one feature honestly. I love the idea of a run "from nobody to nightmare".
Looks like it - this could make playing mods set in certain fantasy universes, in which the protagonists have to roam quite a while before settling down, even more accurate to canon, not to mention how there's plenty of cool unlanded characters in the base game already
Yup. I've seen plenty of people excited at the idea of playing El Cid for example.

Plus, with travel already being a thing with Royal Court, you could actually get some serious D&D/RPG-style games with the right combination of mods.
Also, unlanded play might be able to lead to a better implementation of republican polities than in CK2, and not just of Byzantine bureaucracy.
Honestly, this might actually make governments a lot more moddable. Hell, with careful work, you could actually simulate the transition from feudal states to the more centralized and organized states of the Late Medieval/Renaissance Era. Maybe even beyond that.

I am actually so pumped for Chapter III. I can't wait to play as a Norman adventurer and set up a dynasty somewhere random. Plus the Administrative Government type for the Byzantines seems like it's going to be really interesting. And the legends thing. Plagues could go either way, IMO; I'm hoping it's not just a more interesting random harm thing.